No rule to make target 'util/SUBSYS.o'. Stop. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From lynch@cognitivearts.com (Richard Lynch)
Subject No rule to make target 'util/SUBSYS.o'. Stop.
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, I decided to go ahead and install 6.4.2 after hitting a wall with
6.3.2 (6.5 wasn't out when I downloaded) and am running into a different
compilation error:

gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/pgsql/src/backend/optimizer/geqo'
for i in path plan prep util geqo; do gmake -C $i util/SUBSYS.o; done
gmake[3]: Entering directory 'usr/src/pgsql/src/backend/optimizer/path'
gamke[3]: *** No rule to make target 'util/SUBSYS.o'.  Stop.

And similarly for each of plan, prep, util, geqo

Any ideas?  What *could* it be trying to do with a .o file anyway?  It's
already made?  Or is it trying to link it with something?...

[Disclaimer:  My compile experience is mostly limited to one-file college
homework -- this makefile multi-directory auto stuff boggles my mind]

RedHat Linux 5.2 (Apollo)
Linux 2.0.36 #1 ... i586
gcc 2.8.1  (just compiled today)

stdlibc++ 2.8.1 (ditto, but after gcc instead of with...)

stdlibc++ was only added because I thought maybe my using --without-CXX was
causing the problem...

flex 2.5.4
gmake 3.76.1
GNU Bison 1.25
byacc 1.9-8.i386.rpm      byacc --version is no-op :-(

If any of the above are horribly out of date, I can update.
Well, I can try.  :-)

Or even go with pgsql 6.5, though I'd rather opt for stable than bleeding
edge release.

Oh well, back to the 6.3.2 RedHat rpm version. :-(

PS  When I was ripping out all the postgres stuff I had done for 6.4.2, I
ran across /var/catman/cat1/kill.1.gz (?) that was owned by postgres...
A.  What the heck is all this /var/catman stuff?
B.  How the heck could I have found out A.?
    Would you believe I did:
    man -a a* | grep catman
    man -a b* | grep catman
    .
    .
    .
    man -a z* | grep catman
    in a vain attempt to find out before looking like an idiot asking?
C.  Why would kill be owned by postgres?
D.  Why is some other file there owned by www, for no apparent reason?

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@cognitivearts.com   webmaster@  and www. all of:
R&B/jazz/blues/rock - jademaze.com      music industry org - chatmusic.com
acoustic/funk/world-beat - astrakelly.com   sculptures - olivierledoux.com
my own nascent company - l-i-e.com   cool coffeehouse - uncommonground.com